iRobot Roomba 980 Vacuum Cleaning Robot is the latest and also the first to bung-in Wi-Fi connectivity. This means that you can easily control it from any place. And before you get too excited, the idea isn’t that you will be able to terrify your pets while you are still on the train. The Robot’s iPhone and Android apps allows you to schedule its cleaning rota and to also review the cleaning history. The app also notifies you any time the Robot gets stuck somewhere inside your home - robot vacuum cleaners have an unfortunate tendency of doing this from time to time.
Other upgraded features in iRobot Roomba 980 Vacuum Cleaning Robot include improved stamina and a turbo carpet mode. This robot automatically detects carpeted floors and boosts its suction therefore producing better suction change of sucking dirt, dust and pet hair from your rugs. The robot lasts for two hours of suction before recharging and iRobot says that the machine can do a full floor of 1000 Sq foot with that.
If you are a long term robot vacuum fan, you will also realize that this cleaner moves in a more different way to many other cleaners in the market. While most robot vacuum cleaners wander around vague circles with an aim of covering the entire floor, the iRoomba 980 approaches your floors in a similar way gardeners approach a lawn. Generally, it approaches your floor in methodical parallel lines more like you imagined the first time you saw a robot cleaner. Furthermore, it maps your room just like the previous top-end Roomba cleaners and boasts a camera that makes the vacuuming work easier.
The pros and cons of iRobot Roomba 980 Vacuum Cleaning Robot
- This Roomba robot has many new added features which are really pleasing. The robot is able to clean the entire floor it is landing on. It recharges when necessary and then resumes the cleaning work from the point it left off.
- Its sound level is also better even though it can go higher when the machine is cleaning dirtier points. But in any case the robot is much quieter than the previous Roomba for pets.
- iRobot Roomba 980 Vacuum Cleaning Robotis also smarter than the previous ones – the difference between them is more like the difference between flip-phone and Smart phone.
- Overall, it has good navigation that never gets stuck and enables it to get back to the charging base.
- Its dustbin empties more easily and cleaning of filters is much easier thanks to the mesh which covers the accordion style filters. You won’t need to vacuum the filters each and every time you start a cleaning session. However, cleaning of the filter is necessary to prevent clogging.
- Not perfect! It’s a great improvement but not perfect. Power-cords often baffle it and it also experiences trouble with the sizable thresholds. At times it gets stuck and in such situations you will have to figure out the problematic areas.
- Always, iRobot is the price leader and the cost of all their robots is usually slightly or moderately higher than that of the competing manufacturer. Roomba 980 is not different from the previous ones and in fact it’s more expensive. You will need $900 to purchase this product. But after purchasing you will get the exact value of your money.
The product features and specifications
- AeroForce Cleaning System and Carpet boost
Roomba 980 has a new floor tracking sensor and low-res camera which enhances advanced visual mapping. Therefore, this machine moves in parallel lines when cleaning. Moreover, it features a more powerful vacuum motor which you can activate through Carpet Boost. The AeroForce cleaning system offers 10 times the air power on rugs and carpets.
- New Navigation system
The Robot has new adaptive navigation system which combines iAdapt Responsive Cleaning from this company with newer set of sensors which provides it with more awareness about its surrounding environment.
- iAdapt camera
This is one of the improvements that help the iRobot Roomba 980 Vacuum Cleaning Robot to continually update and build its map of the rooms within your home. This means that the robot will rarely bump onto objects and it will maintain a more organized and efficient cleaning route.
- More battery life
The Roomba 980 can run continuously for two hours without recharging. This is a Roomba personal best. After the battery falls below a certain level, the robot returns to the charging base after which it resumes the cleaning work from the point it left off.
- The iRobot HOME app
This app perfectly integrates Roomba 980 into the Smartphone world. With this app, you are able to press clean at any time from anyplace and the cleaner starts or stops as you want. This feature is ideal particularly for people on the go. When at work or somewhere outside the house, you can start the cleaning process. The app is also simple to use and you can also use it to set a cleaning schedule.
- Tangle free extractors
With Roomba 980 you will experience only a few debris and hair jams. It features the Tangle free extractors which prevent this from happening.
How to clean
To clean your home, you only need to press the CLEAN button. You can also schedule your cleaning using the HOME app which also enables you to review the cleaning history. Previously, iRobot products were only able to approximate the size of their cleaning area by running along the walls or measuring the longest distance in straight line before hitting something. The cleaning involved making longer straight sweeps or moving in spiral patterns until the robot met an object and then moving at random angles until it cleaned the entire room. With the new navigation system, this robot easily maps your room and then runs in parallel lines like a farmer does when plowing a field. The sensors allow the robot to alter its cleaning patterns as a way of avoiding obstacles until it cleans your entire home. It is able to avoid obstacles and due to its height it will clean every part including under your furniture.
The iRobot 980 Cleaning Robot differs from its predecessors in various ways. It has a better mapping technology, you are able to start or stop it remotely and it picks much pet hair, dirt and dust. However, the app doesn’t notify you when the robot experiences a problem and you might therefore get home and find it as dirty as you left it. The cleaner is easier to use and ideal for pet hair regardless of the size.